Some people with Alzheimer's disease - characterized by a loss of brain tissue - have trouble sleeping and/or nighttime wandering.
The National Sleep Foundation suggests how to improve sleep in people with Alzheimer's:
- Make sure the sleep environment is as cool and dark as possible
- Create a consistent schedule of waking and going to bed
- Expose the person with Alzheimer's to bright light soon after waking
- As bedtime nears, keep lighting dim
- Establish regular and simple routines to complete daily chores